Apply for your license here!
What is a Music License?
A license issued by COSBOTS is a permission given by owner of copyright works to another person to exercise the rights belonging to the copyright owner. The owner of the copyright is known as the Licensor, while the beneficiary is the Licensee. In this instance COSBOTS acts on behalf of the copyright owner.
Benefits of a cosbots license?
• I am growing Botswana Creative industry
• Empowering creativity reduces unemployment
• Being on the right side of the law feels good
• I will not pay high prices of the repercussions of infringement
What will happen if i dont apply for a license?
Criminal sanctions for non-compliance.
Businesses /Individuals who contravene provisions on Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act;
- Shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction are liable to a fine not exceeding P20,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to both.
- On a second conviction, any person shall be fined 30,000 – 5million or imprisonment of a term not exceeding 10 years or both.
When does my music license expire?
The license is a contract that runs annually, or per event and due to the many ways in which musical or non-musical works are performed or displayed, the fees paid for a license or the type of license can vary.
Who should apply for a music license?
Any venue or business that plays background, recorded, broadcast or live music in public must get a music usage licence from COSBOTS. This includes businesses and people such as the following:
• Live music venues
• Shopping malls
• Car washes
• Non-profit organisations
• Concerts Exhibitions
• Any other establishment that plays music in public
• Television broadcasters
• Retail stores
• Mobile Service providers
• Minibus taxis
• Community-based organisations
• Music festivals
• Any public show that makes use of music