COSBOTS COPYRIGHT SOCIETY
The Copyright Society of Botswana was established in Botswana which was commissioned and became fully operational in November 2011. In 2012 the registration of members together with licensing of users began leading to a successful distribution of royalties in 2014.
We are mandated by the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act – CAP6802 of 2006 to among others licence and collect royalties from users of copyright protected works, to distribute them to copyright owners.
“We empower creativity through licensing, collection and distribution of royalties, and to ensure fair value to the owners of copyright”
We are open in our dealings with staff and external stakeholders
We demonstrate respect, courtesy and civility towards our colleagues and stakeholders
We put customers in the middle of everything we do
There is no difference between what we say and what we do
We take ownership of the consequences of our actions and decisions
We support each other and collaborate
Licensing content as an enabler to doing business • Fair value from usage of economic rights • Fair remuneration to rights holders • One stop licensing solution for creators
we administer the following rights
As the only collective management orginisation in Botswana, we are a link between Users of copyright works and Owners, rights holders manage their rights through COSBOTS, while the users, Broadcasters, DJ’s, Libraries etc have an obligation to aquire a COSBOTS license prior to use of works.
OUR MANDATE IS TO:
Monitor usage of works – License Users – Collect royalties from Users and – Pay royalties to Rights holders.
In addition, COSBOTS administers the rights of non-musical protected works such as literary, audio-visual and other artistic works exploited for commercial purposes.
WHAT DO WE MEAN by COLLECTIVE MANAGEMENT?
- 1 – stop shop for those seeking to use artists works and a solution for creators.
- The exercise of copyright and related rights by organizations like COSBOTS on behalf of Members.
- Representation of right holders through mandates that right holders have given to COSBOTS.
COSBOTS committed to upholding uppermost standards of business ethics
- Monies collected from Users are distributed; efficiently, diligently, expeditiously, transparently and in accordance with legislative requirements and signed agreements.
- Members benefit whenever their works may be used.
- We encourage and empower creativity.
- We encourage reprographic artists – to register their works with COSBOTS by joining and forming associations.
We will be customer focused, always working from the mind-set of helping clients win
BOTHO & INTEGRITY:
Humility, sound moral & ethical principles. Honesty and trust are central to integrity. Provision of service with courtesy, politeness, respect and consideration
TRANSPARENCY & ACCOUNTABILITY:
Openness and responsibility in our dealings and transactions with customers and stakeholders
Working collaboratively as a group in order to achieve goals
The following provides information related to the industry;
• Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act CAP 68:02
The Copyright Society of Botswana (COSBOTS) began through enactment of the revised Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act CAP 68:02 in June 2006… Read more