Copyright Society of Botswana
Copyright Society of Botswana
What are your benefits as a member of COSBOTS?
- Membership is free
- Members receive royalties through their life span and for 50 more years after their death
- Your dependants will continue to benefit from royalties, for a specified number of years after my death of the principal member
- You are entitled to receive royalties from both local and international users.
- COSBOTS will saveyour time and money, therefore be able to focus on developing your career.
What do I need to apply for membership and enjoy royalties?
- A copy of the work being notified to COSBOTS
- In case of publishers and producers, a certified copy of certificate of incorporation or business name will be required
- Three (3) recent passport size photographs (within 3 months) and a certified copy of national identity card/passport/birth certificate
- Copy of national identity card/passport/birth certificate for next of kin; (if less than 16 years), he/she should be accompanied by a parent/guardian who has a national identity card.
- Copies of agreements, if any, given joint copyright ownership/groups
- Names of group members and a nominated representative if it is a group/band or choir, with letter signed by all members to that effect
- Death Certificate from Civil and National Registration if applying on behalf of a deceased person
- Any other document that can assist to prove or support your claim to copyright ownership in the work.
- Bank account details of the applicant/s as well as those for the beneficiary/s
CHANGE OF DETAILS – FORM CR07
Members/ Applicants can change their details by filling the COSBOTS change of details form CR07. The form can be accessed at the office or filled on our website.
NOTIFICATION OF COPYRIGHTABLE WORKS (musical) – FORM CR05
The applicant has to fill COSBOTS form CR05 for notification of music works. This is to declare that the applicant is a Composer, Author, Producer or Publisher of the said work(s).
NOTIFICATION OF COPYRIGHTABLE WORKS (non -musical) – FORM CR06
The applicant has to fill COSBOTS form CR06 for notification of non – music works. This is to declare that the applicant is an original creator of the fine, applied or performing arts of the said works.
APPLICATION FOR GROUP MEMBERSHIP – FORM CR03
The applicants have to fill COSBOTS form CR03 to declare that the copyrightable works belongs to more than 1 member. The form will display information on all the group members, name of the group representative, groups’ account details and stage name.
APPLICATION FOR TRANSFER OF ECONOMIC RIGHTS TO COSBOTS AND TERM
By signing this form, the applicant will transfer certain rights to COSBOTS. The term of this agreement shall be for the duration of the copyright of a member as provided for in the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act CAP 68:02 from the date that the agreement is signed by the Member and COSBOTS. The agreement shall be extended annually unless terminated by either party.
DISTRIBUTION OF ROYALTIES:
Royalties shall only be distributable upon completion of the authentication process and approval of full membership by the Society’s Board of Directors.
When do I get my royalties?
Distribution of royalties is normally the last stage after, licensing and collection. It is COSBOTS responsibility to ensure that royalties are collected from licensed users and distributed at least annually.